• Thu. Feb 29th, 2024

News Eyeo

All Important News

Mexico Dominates Avocado Supply to the US Market

ByEditor

Feb 10, 2024

In 2022, several nations including Peru, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Chile saw a significant increase in their avocado exports to the United States. While their figures were still far behind those of Mexico, they were slowly beginning to gain a share in the 3 billion dollar market. However, a year later, official US figures revealed that these countries failed to stand out, while Mexican exporters increased their pace.

Since the beginning of the last decade when the avocado boom began, 90 percent of avocado purchases in the US came from Mexico, leaving 10 percent to other countries with lower production. By 2022, Mexico’s dominance was reduced to 84 percent, with Latin American countries reaching a 16 percent share of the US market. However, by 2023, Mexico had once again increased its market share to 90 percent.

According to USDA data, in 2023 the US imported 1,261,000 tons of avocado, with 1,124,000 tons coming from Mexico, and 137,000 tons supplied by Peru, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Chile. Volume sales from Mexico to the US increased by 18 percent in 2023, while those of the other four countries in the region showed a drop of 26 percent.

Peru’s avocado exports to the US saw a significant jump of 45 percent in 2022, but by 2023, they fell by 39 percent. The only country that increased its exports in 2023 was the Dominican Republic. Three other countries, New Zealand, Mongolia, and Jamaica, also sold avocados to the US in 2023, but in insignificant quantities.

According to USDA data, the avocado export market to the US registered a value of $2,980 million in 2023, with Mexico accounting for 91 percent of this value.

The avocado market is highly competitive, and while some countries have seen fluctuations in their exports to the US, Mexico has maintained its strong position in supplying avocados to the US market.

By Editor

Leave a Reply